Long Distance Moving Packing Guide
Moving long distance is a pretty demanding task, but if you take the time to carefully plan your move prior, you can remove a lot of the stress that comes with it. Whether it is your first long distance move or if you are experienced, it never hurts to be prepared. Here is what you should know about moving long distance, and how you can remove a lot of the hassle that comes with packing.
Do Not Sacrifice Quality for Convenience
To ensure protection, do not settle for cheap, used boxes that can tear apart or be damaged during transport. Instead, invest in high-quality, durable ones. The best way to go about this is to treat packing as if you are storing something for long term. If you think like, this, all of your materials will be safe and secure. It may be cheaper to get boxes of inferior quality, but at the same time, you will be sacrificing the security, and the trade-off isn’t worth it.
Remember the 60/40 Rule
Whether or not you are driving a moving truck, having the 60/40 rule in place is very important. The 60/40 rule refers to the weight distribution of all of the boxes that you have on board. This means approximately 60 percent of the weight should be towards the front of the trailer while the remaining 40 percent should be centered at the back. This makes recovery more manageable and reduces the amount of sway during the voyage.
This seems like a common-sense step, but unfortunately, it is a step that many forget. You will unload many boxes, and it would highly behoove you to know which boxes belong where for your own convenience. Therefore, you should take a marker and write clearly and legibly what is in each box. You can either label each box individually, or if it is more comfortable with you, label one box as a category and have every other corresponding box in one specific area. Do what suit your needs, but please do not forget to at least make some labeling to make unpacking less of a trouble.
Save the Best For The Last
Another good rule of thumb is saving packing the essentials for last. Non-essential items such as books, games, accessories or other objects you don’t use frequently typically go toward the bottom of the box. Objects that have higher importance should be placed at the top to prevent searching heavily for them later.
Invest In a Moving Kit
A moving kit can make packing a much easier. These kits will be able to help you organize many items, from cutlery items to first aid kits. It is always better to pack prepared than to pack with the fear of leaving something at home.
These are just a few tips to help remove some of the stress that comes with packing. Best of luck!