Sacramento County is the 8th largest county in California and also ranks among the top 25 largest in the United States. The area played a big part in the California Gold Rush of the 1840s and boasts an exciting history because of its origins. Since then, cities in Sacramento County have attracted many people because of their beauty and unique backgrounds.
The name “Sacramento” comes from the Spanish word for sacrament or the Lord’s Supper.
Pulling information from the US Census, you’ll be able to learn key facts about Sacramento County cities as well as exciting things to do, local amenities, and other helpful details.
Table of Contents
Sacramento County Demographics
By getting an overview of cities in Sacramento County, you’ll be able to understand the significant differences between the areas found on this list.
- Population: 1,552,058
- Median Age: 37 years old
- Median Household Income: $72,017
- Median Home Listing Price: $465,000
- Area of State: 965.2 square miles
- Density: 1,607.9 people per square mile
- Educational Attainment: 88.9% high school graduate or higher
Cities in Sacramento County
If you’re considering relocating to the area, learning about Sacramento County cities will be the best way to determine which of these communities is best for your lifestyle.
The beautiful city of Sacramento is located 87 miles northeast of downtown San Francisco along the western border of Sacramento County. It was established in 1854 and serves as the county seat.
Sacramento is the largest city in Sacramento County by population with 500,930 residents. Its evolving contemporary culture has become inviting to people from all walks of life.
Known for being the most “hipster city” in California, Sacramento is also recognized as a popular place for tourism with top-rated attractions like the Old Sacramento Waterfront, the California Museum, the California Hall of Fame, and the Sacramento Zoo.
West Campus High School and Natomas Pacific Pathways Prep are two of the top schools in Sacramento. The area also hosts California State University-Sacramento, which is the city’s most highly ranked college.
Notable people from Sacramento include actress Brie Larson, actor Sam Elliott, actress Jessica Chastain, famous rock climber Alex Honnold, as well as former NBA star and Sacramento mayor Kevin Johnson.
- Sacramento Population: 500,930
- Sacramento Area: 97.9 square miles
- Sacramento Median Age: 35 years old
- Sacramento Median Household Income: $62,335
- Sacramento Median House Price: $336,900
- Sacramento Density: 5,255.5 people per square mile
- Sacramento Map
2. Elk Grove
Elk Grove was founded in 1850 and is next on the list of cities in Sacramento County. It is located about 15 miles south of downtown Sacramento, making it a convenient place to live.
Known for its strong job market, Elk Grove is home to reputable employers like Ford, OC Communications, GNB, Maita Chevrolet, and King’s Skate Country.
One of the many perks of living in Elk Grove? Its award-winning school district and top-rated programs at campuses like Pleasant Grove High School.
- Elk Grove Population: 170,825
- Elk Grove Area: 42.2 square miles
- Elk Grove Median Age: 38 years old
- Elk Grove Median Household Income: $93,780
- Elk Grove Median House Price: $406,300
- Elk Grove Density: 4,158.5 people per square mile
- Elk Grove Map
It’s actually a CDP, not a city, but Arden-Arcade still earns a spot on the list of biggest Sacramento County cities. Just 8 miles east of downtown Sacramento, Arden-Arcade is known for being a shopping paradise with over 2,000 businesses in the area and popular malls like Arden Fair, Arden Square Shopping Center, and Arden Creek Town Center.
- Arden-Arcade Population: 102,864
- Arden-Arcade Area: 17.8 square miles
- Arden-Arcade Median Age: 37 years old
- Arden-Arcade Median Household Income: $50,501
- Arden-Arcade Median House Price: $367,700
- Arden-Arcade Density: 6,091 people per square mile
- Arden-Arcade Map
4. Citrus Heights
Citrus Heights is a Sacramento County city located about 16 miles northeast of downtown Sacramento. Similar to the Arden-Arcade area, Citrus Heights is another great place for shopping. As a fairly young community compared to other cities in Sacramento County, the area was established in 1997.
The dense suburban atmosphere in Citrus Heights brings with it lots of local coffee shops and nice local neighborhoods for young families.
- Citrus Heights Population: 87,373
- Citrus Heights Area: 14.2 square miles
- Citrus Heights Median Age: 38 years old
- Citrus Heights Median Household Income: $62,276
- Citrus Heights Median House Price: $297,700
- Citrus Heights Density: 6,168.5 people per square mile
- Citrus Heights Map
Folsom is one of the safest Sacramento County cities and one of the largest! The community was founded in 1946 and is about 23 miles northeast of Sacramento.
Best known for the song “Folsom Prison Blues” by Johnny Cash, Folsom is also recognized as a popular place for outdoor activities at the Folsom Lake State Recreation Area as well as the local SeaQuest aquarium.
Folsom is the most affluent location on this list of cities in Sacramento County with a median household income of $114,405 per year.
There are plenty of safe communities in Folsom, which are home to working professionals.
Vista Del Lago High School and Folsom High School are the two top schools in Folsom.
- Folsom Population: 78,159
- Folsom Area: 21.9 square miles
- Folsom Median Age: 41 years old
- Folsom Median Household Income: $114,405
- Folsom Median House Price: $524,100
- Folsom Density: 2,916.2 people per square mile
- Folsom Map
6. Rancho Cordova
Looking at a map of cities in Sacramento County, you’ll find Rancho Cordova to the east of Arden-Arcade. The area was established in July 2003 and has grown quickly with more people moving to Rancho Cordova each year.
The area now known as Rancho Cordova has a unique history that played a significant role in the Gold Rush. It has many historical landmarks and offers beautiful weather for most of the year.
Rancho Cordova is a culturally diverse city with a variety of ethnic histories and people from all different backgrounds.
The Chamberlain University College of Nursing is Rancho Cordova’s top college, offering students great nursing programs.
- Rancho Cordova Population: 73,147
- Rancho Cordova Area: 34.9 square miles
- Rancho Cordova Median Age: 35 years old
- Rancho Cordova Median Household Income: $65,307
- Rancho Cordova Median House Price: $299,800
- Rancho Cordova Density: 2,144 people per square mile
- Rancho Cordova Map
The census-designated place of Carmichael, CA is often considered one of the best suburbs of Sacramento County. It was named after community founder Dan Carmichael, who first established the area in the year 1895.
Back in the early 1900s, advertisements were sent to neighboring communities offering people 10-acre tracts in Carmichael for only $1,500. The median home price for properties in Carmichael is now around $380,200.
- Carmichael Population: 64,454
- Carmichael Area: 13.5 square miles
- Carmichael Median Age: 40 years old
- Carmichael Median Household Income: $64,710
- Carmichael Median House Price: $380,200
- Carmichael Density: 4,966 people per square mile
- Carmichael Map
Located to the southeast of Sacramento, the small area of Florin is a census-designated place in Sacramento County. It was founded in 1875 and has been steadily growing ever since.
Florin is commonly known for its production and distribution of strawberries, which are grown locally around town. It also has a strong Japanese influence due to the many immigrants who have made their way to this area from Japan over the years.
- City Population: 47,555
- Florin Area: 8.7 square miles
- Florin Median Age: 36 years old
- Florin Median Household Income: $44,618
- Florin Median House Price: $248,900
- Florin Density: 5,463.9 people per square mile
- Florin Map
The census-designated place of Antelope, CA is located to the west of Citrus Heights and was established in the late 1980s.
Antelope is known for being a local planned community that developed slowly at first and then saw quick growth in later years. The area consists of mostly residential homes with a couple of small commercial areas mixed in.
- Antelope Population: 48,398
- Antelope Area: 6.8 square miles
- Antelope Median Age: 33 years old
- Antelope Median Household Income: $80,998
- Antelope Median House Price: $325,300
- Antelope Density: 7,079.6 people per square mile
- Antelope Map
10. North Highlands
Located about 12 miles northeast of downtown, the census-designated place of North Highlands is one of the largest suburbs of Sacramento. It is a popular community to live in and stands as one of the top Sacramento County cities among its residents.
North Highlands is known for being a housing development with a few commercial locations scattered throughout the area. It is located next to the former McClellan Air Force Base, which has since closed down and is now called McClellan Business Park.
- North Highlands Population: 47,661
- North Highlands Area: 8.8 square miles
- North Highlands Median Age: 32 years old
- North Highlands Median Household Income: $45,488
- North Highlands Median House Price: $ 217,500
- North Highlands Density: 5,408.9 people per square mile
- North Highlands Map
List of Cities in Sacramento County (Table)
Here is a complete list of cities in Sacramento County, sorted first by population, then other metrics from the US Census. Education Level is the % of the population that has finished high school. The Population Growth is from 2010 to 2019. If they exist, under Type, we have included cities, towns, villages, census designated places and more.
CA Sacramento County
|wdt_ID||Name||Population||Med. Home Price||Med. HH Income||Median Age||Education Level||Area (miles)||Pop. Growth %||Type|
Map of Cities in Sacramento County
How many cities are there in Sacramento County?
There are 7 incorporated cities in Sacramento County along with 16 towns and census-designated places.
What is the most populous city in Sacramento County?
Sacramento is the largest city in Sacramento County with a population of 500,930 people.
How many people live in Sacramento County?
The population in Sacramento County is 1,552,058 residents.
Which of Sacramento County’s Cities is Right for You?
If you’re ready to choose any of these cities in Sacramento County as your new home, we have a team ready to help you out! The crew of trusted movers at Mother Lode Van & Storage is standing by to handle every aspect of your transition to this area. Give us a call today at (916) 631-4285 or take a moment to complete the Request a Quote form above for a free moving estimate!