Sacramento is one of the best places to retire in California and the top retirement destination in the Valley thanks to its quality health care, museums, quality of life, and attractions. Are you ready to relax and enjoy a high quality of life in retirement? Whether you’re interested in socializing, spending time on your hobbies, traveling, or making friends, the best 55+ communities in Sacramento can support the retirement lifestyle you’re looking for.
Here are the top six 55 plus communities Sacramento has to offer.
What Is a 55+ Community?
55 plus communities are apartment buildings, condominiums, or master planned communities designed for active adults who are 55 and older. Most communities are age-restricted; only people who are 55+ or 60+ can buy or lease in the neighborhood.
You’ll find many types of retirement communities in Sacramento. Many communities are apartment buildings with rental units that come with included services and amenities. Some facilities are continuing care retirement communities (CCRCs) which offer independent living as well as assisted living, memory care, and more if your health care needs change later. You’ll also find new and resale homes in age-restricted master planned communities if you want to buy instead of rent.
Benefits of a 55 Plus Community
There are many reasons to consider over 55 retirement villages in Sacramento:
- Maintenance-free lifestyle
- Strong sense of community
- Usually near medical facilities, restaurants, shopping, and parks
- Planned social activities, excursions, social clubs, fitness classes, and events make it easy to stay active, make friends, and socialize
- Other residents or neighbors are a similar age to make it easier to connect
- On-site amenities and services like concierge, chauffeuring, housekeeping, and prepared meals make life more convenient
Campus Commons Senior Living | Gated Sacramento 55+ Community on the American River Bike Trail
- Address: Campus Commons Senior Living, 22 Cadillac Dr, Sacramento, CA 95825
- Phone: (916) 822-6447
- Housing options: Rental apartments with one- and two-bedroom units that feature full kitchens, emergency pull cords, and private balconies/patios
Campus Commons Senior Living is a Ray Stone Senior Living community and one of the most exciting 55+ communities in Sacramento. Located right on the American River Bike Trail in Arden Arcade residents enjoy daily activities like live music, movie nights, and crafts plus regular outings with transportation. The gated, tree-filled grounds have water features, gardens, and social areas. Just next door is the Campus Commons Golf Course!
Campus Commons Senior Living provides two chef-prepared meals per day with a continental breakfast. Enjoy meals in the dining room, in your home, at the bistro, or under the umbrellas on the landscaped grounds.
- Gated, landscaped grounds
- Pet-friendly with no pet rent
- Library, activity room, game room, and craft room
- Daily activities, social groups, and scheduled outings
- Central location on the American River Bike Trail, next door to the Campus Commons Golf Course, and close to Sutter Memorial Hospital, Mercy General Hospital, and more
Varenna Senior Apartments | Affordable Gated Retirement Community in Sacramento
- Address: Varenna Senior Apartments, 2351 Wyda Way, Sacramento, CA 95825
- Phone: (888) 303-3624
- Housing options: Rental apartments with one- and two-bedroom units that feature washer and dryer hookups and balconies/patios.
Varenna Senior Apartments offers maintenance-free living in the established neighborhood of Arden Arcade. Want to be near shopping, dining, and golfing? This is one of the best over 55 communities in Sacramento, especially if you’re looking for low-income senior housing. You’ll be just minutes from the Haggin Oaks Golf Complex, the Del Paso Country Club, Pavilions Shopping Center, and Loehmann’s Plaza.
Varenna Senior Apartments is an income-restricted retirement community for low-income seniors. Seniors must generally earn less than about 60% of the area median income with rent capped at 30% your income.
- Security gate
- Outdoor pool
- Business center
- Covered parking
- On-site Resident Services Coordinator to assist with community activities and transportation
- Pet-friendly (up to 25 pounds with a pet deposit and monthly pet rent)
Carefree Senior Living at North Natomas | Sacramento 55+ Retirement Community with Resort-Style Amenities
- Address: Carefree Senior Living at North Natomas, 5601 Natomas Blvd, Sacramento, CA 95835
- Phone: (916) 928-4548
- Housing options: Rental apartments with 10 floor plans ranging from 455-square-foot one-bedroom units to deluxe villas with 1,140 square feet. Select units include washers and dryers, walk-in showers, and private patios/balconies.
Ready to live your best life in retirement? At Carefree Senior Living in the North Natomas neighborhood, you’ll enjoy resort-style amenities at one of the top 55+ retirement communities in Sacramento. Located right next to Old Town Sacramento and ARCO Arena, this community is next to some of the best shopping and dining in the area.
The luxury clubhouse is packed with more than 9,000 square feet of amenities including an on-site barber and beauty salon, fitness center, library, game and billiards room, player grand piano, and media center. Relax by the Mediterranean-style pool and spa with a covered patio area, gardens, and a barbecue area. There’s even a putting green and bocce ball court!
As one of the best Sacramento gated retirement communities, Carefree Senior Living makes it easy to stay active and social. There’s a full-time Activities Director who oversees theme parties, scheduled social events, and arranges free transportation.
- Covered parking
- Gardening area
- Clubhouse with fitness center, library, billiards, media center, and on-site beauty salon
- Bocce ball court and putting green
- Resort-style pool and spa with BBQ area and covered patio
- Gated, landscaped grounds
- Social events, parties, and activities
Oakmont of East Sacramento | Luxury Continuing Care Retirement Community (CCRC) in Sacramento
- Address: Oakmont of East Sacramento, 5301 F St, Sacramento, CA 95819
- Phone: (916) 999-5395
- Housing options: Studio, one-, and two-bedroom apartments with pricing based on the room type and level of care (independent living, assisted living, and memory care available)
What makes Oakmont of East Sacramento one of the best over 55 retirement communities in Sacramento? Luxury amenities, beautiful views, an ideal location, and a continuum of care if your health care needs change.
Oakmont of East Sacramento is a luxury active adult community with everything you could want on-site. Enjoy full-time concierge services, fitness and health programs, chauffeur services, chef-prepared meals, social activities, hobby spaces, and much more.
Your monthly rate includes housekeeping, concierge, utilities, scheduled chauffeur service, three chef-prepared meals, and fitness, social, and recreational programs. Additional services include additional or guest meals, room service, pet care, massage therapy, and beauty services.
- Restaurant-style and lanai dining
- Cocktail lounge and wine cellar
- Activity rooms, library
- Private movie theater
- Landscaped grounds with gardens and walking paths
- On-site beauty salon and barber
- Wellness center and day spa services
- Outdoor fitness classes
- Pet-friendly with a pet park
Heritage Vineyard Creek | One of the Newest Master-Planned Active Adult Communities in Sacramento
- Address: Lennar at Heritage at Vineyard Creek, 7463 Golden Stars Way, Sacramento, CA 95829
- Phone: (916) 304-9906
- Housing options: Single-family, one-story homes for sale with two or three bedrooms
Not all 55 and older communities in Sacramento are rental apartments with full-service amenities. If you’re interested in buying, not renting, there are several master-planned retirement communities to consider. Most are resale, but Heritage Vineyard Creek has new single-family homes available.
This Lennar community features several single-story floor plans and Thoughtful Design features that accommodate changing needs. You’ll notice wider hallways and doorways, extra lighting, appliances with a lower design, light switches and outlets centered on the wall for easier access, casitas, and more. These features are all designed to make life easier and promote mobility and accessibility.
Buying into a new active retirement community in Sacramento doesn’t mean you sacrifice the amenities of a condo or apartment building. Enjoy independent living in your own home with access to The Resort, the community clubhouse with a fitness center, activity room, fireplace, garden, pool and spa, and more.
Homes at Heritage Vineyard Creek start in the $400s. HOA fees are about $211 and the special assessment is about $220.
- Gated retirement community
- Swimming pool and spa
- Lighted pickle ball courts, tennis, and bocce ball court
- Community garden
- Fitness center and aerobics studio
- Picnic and barbecue area
- Vineyard area
Golden Pond Retirement Community | Sacramento 55+ Community with Continuing Care Options
- Address: Golden Pond Retirement Community, 3415 Mayhew Rd, Sacramento, CA 95827
- Phone: (916) 800-1599
- Housing options: Studio, one-, and two-bedroom apartments for rent
Ready for maintenance-free living, concierge services, and convenience? Golden Pond is one of the top-rated 55 plus communities in Sacramento! Located right next to Rosemont Community Park, you’ll find top-notch amenities and services that make it easy to enjoy the lifestyle you want.
Golden Pond supports a healthy, active lifestyle with upscale, maintenance-free living, gourmet meals, scheduled transportation, and daily social activities and fitness classes. Catch up with friends or relax at the community brew pub, putting green, bistro, and on-site theater. Stay healthy with an on-site fitness center and yoga studio.
If your needs change, Golden Pond is a CCRC with assisted living and memory care options as well. You can rest easy knowing you can remain in your home.
- Fitness center and yoga studio
- Dining program with chef-prepared meals
- Community movie theater
- Great room
- Bingo room and activities rooms
- Beauty salon and barber
- Concierge services
- Full-time nurse and 24-hour pharmacy
- Activities calendar with on-site and off-site events
- Scheduled transportation
Map of 55+ Communities in Sacramento
Still struggling to choose the best option among these top 55 plus communities in Sacramento? To narrow down your options, start by deciding whether you want to buy or rent. Next, make sure they are pet-friendly if you have or will have pets. Consider the neighborhood, nearby amenities, and walkability. Finally, decide which amenities matter most in a community and which you are most likely to use. You’ll then be ready to learn more about each retirement community and inquire about cost to choose a facility that will be affordable in retirement.
Once you’ve settled on the best 55+ community to call home, give us a call at Mother Lode Van & Storage. We’ll help you settle into your new home with full-service Sacramento movers who handle everything!